So - which ass-kicking boots do I buy?

Monday, November 24, 2008

Open (Salad) Bar


This is not the year of the holiday party. I know I was not the only one who noticed the great irony, or possibly the desperation, of Ann Taylor's recent campaign, "There will be parties." No, there will not be parties. Or if there are parties, they will be on a much smaller scale. This year, for example, my company's party will be held in the cafeteria. Former locations have included the ballroom at the Waldorf, the Temple of Dendur at the Metropolitan Museum, the main branch of the New York Public Library. But, really - not one of those venues offered those salads where you pick 17 ingredients and the man behind the counter tosses them all together for you (what makes those taste so good? the aforementioned 17 ingredients?).
Even for a party in the caf, you need to look good. But, as befitting a party at which where you have to tug each paper napkin one by one from the 4 foot tall dispenser, asking yourself with each pull, "Do I really need all these napkins? Am I singlehandedly killing the planet?" you have to do it on the cheap. $21 oughta do it.

No comments: