So - which ass-kicking boots do I buy?

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wrap It Up, I'll Take It

I still don't believe that a warm-blooded human should ever wear a scarf in the heat, whether that be the white hot lights on the American Idol stage or the oven that is the NYC subway in the summer, but I am now willing to acknowledge the value of the flimsy scarf. I'm sure it has a real name, but I don't know what it it is and I don't care what it is, and I think the term flimsy scarf makes my point quite clearly. I mean those wide, fringed, usually rayon or cotton, flimsy scarves.


The flimsy scarf is perfect for that weather we in my family call 'in-betveen,' when a light jacket is just not quite enough. It's also the perfect accessory for the purely hypothetical office that is freezing in summer and freezinger in winter. One where many of the vents are taped over with duct tape or jammed with deli napkins, and you could swear that over by the copier there is a hint of snow in the air.

Here's a cute $12.50 one from Old Navy. Notice that because it is multiple colorful patterns on a single item, I can still wear it despite both my pattern and color phobias. I think that somehow a colorful multi-patterned item paradoxically works to soothe my phobias in much the same way that ritalin calms those with ADHD, despite its being a stimulant. Also it's possible I have had too much diet coke today.


No comments: